Monday, February 3, 2014

Kung Pow Chicken

Today I made kung pow chicken (also known as gong bao ji ding in Chinese I believe) for dinner. Partially because I love to cook, and partially because I was avoiding reading my textbook. haha I thought I'd just share some pictures and the recipe.
So here is my recipe:

Marinade:
1 lb chicken 
2 T cornstarch 
2 T soysauce 
2 T wine (white)
1 eggwhite

Beat cornstarch into liquids, then add egg white, then meat
Marinate meat for 20 min before cooking

Heat oil to smoking
Throw in 15-20 deseeded red peppers (hot peppers)
Add marinated meat

2 ‘’ peeled and grated Ginger
2 4 Green onions
And ½ - 1 c almonds

Add sauce:
2 T wine (white)
2 T soy sauce
1 T rice vinegar
2 t sugar
2 t cornstarch
1 T sesame oil (toasted sesame oil)


Here's what your chicken will look like in the marinade:


Make sure you have rice ready! I prefer jasmine rice, and then I boil and cook it like pasta, instead of the cooking technique more common in the US. I tend to feel like the rice has a better texture my way. Otherwise it's often one big sticky glob.

Also make sure you have your ginger ready and on the side:

Have your sauce prepared and ready in a bowl too:
Don't you love my adorable rainbow whisk?

It really is best to cook the meat in a wok, otherwise it has a tendency to be greasy since you don't need nearly as much oil if cooking with a wok:

Serve next to the rice or on top of it, depending on your preference:
See how the rice is light and not all clumped together? 
You may also notice, that my dish does not have the green onions in it. That's because I am pretty allergic to onions and get really sick if I eat anything in that family.

No comments:

Post a Comment