Monday, December 15, 2014

Fudge


So this weekend I made fudge. I didn't have enough time to write it up and post it for your pleasure because my friend, Rachel, came to visit and we did some sewing for her emerging business. I decided spending time with my friend, that I don't get to see nearly as often as I would like, was going to be my priority for the night.
OK, here goes! Lets do this! Super delicious decadent fudge. My husband finds it a tad too rich for his taste, but I love it. :)

Here's what you need:
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2/3 cup (5 fl.-oz. can) Evaporated Milk
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups mini marshmallows
  • 1 1/2 cups (9 oz.) Chocolate Chips (I use milk chocolate because I prefer that to semi-sweet, however you can use whichever you like best. I also always spring for Nestle because I must remain true to my Swiss roots and I think they taste better.)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

    You can add nuts, but I don't go in for any of that nonsense! I want my fudge chocolatey and unadulterated! However if you're not a purist like I am you can add half a cup towards the end of the recipe.
I'd also like to note, that I made a double batch this time around, but am giving you the instructions and amounts for a single batch. If you want to do a double batch feel free. :)

First  measure out your 2/3 c Evaporated Milk and add it to your pot. Don't make the mistake I made a few years ago and  use sweetened evaporated milk. It has much thicker, syrupy consistency and will make your fudge not turn out at all, it turns it almost into a hard candy.

Add your 1 1/2 c sugar.

Add your 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Now add your 2 tablespoons of butter.

Combine them all in your pot. Stir well.

I turn up the heat slowly and blend them all well together.

Bring it to a boil and let it boil supervised for 4-5 minutes. Make sure you stir and your pot is big enough so it won't boil over. I wouldn't leave it alone, but watch it constantly.

While it is boiling I get my two cups of marshmallows out and put them on the side in a bowl.

Next get your chocolate chips ready. You will need 1 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. If you are doubling it like I was, keep in mind that one bag is about 2 cups, maybe a bit more. So if you're doubling it, buy two bags. Better to have leftover chocolate than not enough.

Once it's boiled for 4-5 minutes, remove it from the heat and add your two cups of marshmallows.

Stir them until they have completely melted down, then add your 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and your 2 cups of chocolate.

Make sure everything is very well blended. If the chocolate chips don't melt all the way and you haven't blended it all together well enough you will have hard chunks of chocolate in your fudge. Once it's all completely mixed together and smooth pour it into your dish. I used the larger one because I made a double batch, however if you are making a single batch, use a square baking dish.

Now let it chill for at least 2 hours. I'll be honest, I thought about lining the pan with foil, but didn't. Now I regretted it. It would have made it much easier to cut up and portion.


I like to cut my fudge up into bite sized pieces, but you could also cut it into larger pieces in order to gift chunks of it.

Hope you enjoy your fudge!






No comments:

Post a Comment