Sunday, March 22, 2015

Stuffed Peppers

I am so insanely lucky I have such a kind and supportive husband! I don't know how I would have made it through this month without him! I have finished off my insane work stint and topped off at 30 days straight working without a day off. However I ended that stint with a night spent in the ER with agonizing back pain. That is also not a night I would have survived without my husband who was so caring and patient. So I got the following day off, and then went back to work before getting another day off during which I did absolutely nothing. However starting next week I will have two whole days off. I'll have regularly scheduled days off again and will have time to actually cook myself. So this should be about the last guest post recipe for a while. Today's recipe is also from my husband, and our adorable niece, Gabby, will make an appearance. Some of the photo credit also goes to my brother-in-law, Clint, who helped take pictures. I was gone for the entirety of this process, but am writing this up because my husband isn't terribly wordy. The pictures are a bit different than I would usually do them, but we'll make it work, eh?

Ingredients:
5 Bell Peppers (One per person - This makes enough filling for more than 5 bell peppers)
Ground Beef (1 lbs)
Rice
Canned Tomatoes (1 petite diced, 1 petite diced with Italian Seasoning, 1 petite diced with chilies; chose for your own preference. You may only need 2 cans, we had lots of extra filling)
Onion
Garlic
Salt & Pepper

Cut the top off your bell pepper and remove the core.
I.e. the white stuff and the seeds.

Par-boil the bottom half of your bell pepper, about 10 minutes.

Once they have been par-boiled and drained of water place them in a baking dish like my pyrex dish here.
You can now set these aside and get started on your filling.

You will need rice. You can either prepare rice in a rice cooker, or do it my way. I toss my rice into boiling water and let it cook like pasta for around 10 minutes, depending on which rice you use, and then drain it like you would drain pasta. Either way, cook about 1 - 1 1/2 cup's worth of dry rice with your preferred method.

While your rice is cooking you can saute your diced onion in a bit of oil or butter, then add in your ground beef and garlic, then season to taste with salt and pepper.

When your beef is browned all the way you can drain it in a colander.

Add in your cooked rice.

Get your canned tomatoes ready. You can see, my husband used different types of tomatoes.

You then add your canned tomatoes.

Mix this all well. The filling can be made ahead of time, which is what my husband did.

When you're ready to make your peppers preheat your oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Start stuffing your peppers. Featuring our niece, Gabby, helping out.

Just fill them up, so they are equally full.

Now go ahead and put the tops "lids" on and stick them into the oven for around 15 minutes, just enough time to heat everything thoroughly.

My husband then served them on a bed of salad in our individual casserole dishes.
Isn't he fancy?


Quickie Summary:

Ingredients:
5 Bell Peppers (One per person - This makes enough filling for more than 5 bell peppers)
Ground Beef (1 lbs)
Rice
Canned Tomatoes (1 petite diced, 1 petite diced with Italian Seasoning, 1 petite diced with chilies; chose for your own preference. You may only need 2 cans, we had lots of extra filling)
Onion
Garlic
Salt & Pepper

Cut the tops off your bell peppers.
Decore and deseed the peppers.
Parboil for approximately 10 minutes.
Set aside.

Cook 1 - 1 1/2 cups of rice.

Saute diced onions.
Add garlic.
Brown ground beef.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Drain meat.

Mix meat, rice, and canned tomatoes.

Stuff bell peppers, and place the tops back onto your bell peppers.
Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until thoroughly heated through.

Serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment