Sunday, November 9, 2014

Pork Fried Rice

Fried Rice is one of my signature dishes. It's the one thing that we always eat all the leftovers of. I'm not that great at eating the leftovers most of the time, but this is the one time that I always want them!
So, shall we get started then?

Ingredients:
Rice (I prefer jasmine rice)
Pork (I use pork chops when I can)
Water Chestnuts (optional)
Eggs
Slivered Almonds (You can use whole, but I like the slivered better)
Ginger (fresh, you can also use powdered, I sometimes supplement with it, but don't substitute the fresh completely)
Soy Sauce (I prefer low sodium)
Rice Vinegar
Worchester Sauce
Toasted Sesame Seed Oil
Cayenne Pepper
Paprika
Salt
Pepper
Maggi Sauce (if you can get it, but not necessary)

Got all your stuff together? OK, lets get started!

Get your meat out and lay it all out so you can season it.




Now season the meat with the cayenne, salt, pepper,and paprika.




Also cut up some of your ginger into little bits, or grate it.




Preheat your pot or sauce pan with some peanut oil. (Peanut oil is a good choice because it can handle the highest heat.)
Now throw your meat seasoned side down into the pot and add the ginger.


Now season that side too.





Sear them on both sides, and then dump in a bunch of soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame seed oil, worchester sauce, and maggi. It'll boil down somewhat and infuse everything with the flavors. Lower the heat to medium to cook your meat.


I get the meat out and cut it into bite sized cubes, before returning it to the sauce to finish cooking. This also gives it more of the flavors.


Cut them up.




Return it to your pot:




While that is cooking, I add the sliced water chestnuts so they can soak up some of that flavor. I like the crunchiness with the great flavor.

Take the rest of the ginger and grate or chop it up. I use my mini cuisinart. Ginger is a very fibrous root. So if you are going to chop it up into grated consistency, you should cut the pieces across the grain like this:



Get your wok out. Preheat it with the  peanut oil. Until it reaches almost smoking point. While it's preheating beat up your eggs like you would for scrambled eggs. Pour into the wok, break them up, and let them cook.




Remove the cooked eggs and reserve them on a plate that has paper towels on it so they can absorb the excess oil.



If the eggs have depleted the oil in your wok, add some more and ensure it has preheated. I toss in two chili peppers if I have them. Then dump in your grated ginger:



Then add your almonds and let them get golden brown.



Ok, so if I was a normal person, I would add my rice to the wok, and then add all the other ingredients, and yay. However I am not a normal person, and I doubt there is a wok made for my needs. Also I am a weak feeble girly girl, so what actually happens is that I throw everything into the biggest pot I have. Add a ton of soy sauce, more sesame oil, and a bunch of rice vinegar. Then I yell: "HOOONEEEEEEYYYYYYYYY!" And then I make him stir and stir and stir. Season to taste. 



Oh, goodness! This is indeed one of my absolute favorite foods. It's also as customizable as you want it to be. Add green onions, add different meats (I've made it with ground elk before too), add whatever sounds good to you.

I also always provide soy sauce and rice vinegar when I serve it. I tend to want more of both in my rice so I season a bit under, that way everyone can customize as they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment