Sunday, October 19, 2014

Asian Pork Pot Roast

Today I made Asian pork pot roast. This may not be the most usual type of pot roast, but believe me it is quite delicious! My best friend's boyfriend, John, flips for it! But then again, that may not be the biggest endorsement, considering he likes almost everything I cook. It is way more simple than you would think.
This is my very beloved Le Creuset dutch/french oven. This one has a larger surface, but isn't as tall. The reason I got this one is because I used to make stew all the time and liked having the bigger surface to brown my beef cubes. In this case it works out perfectly too, because I am able to make two smaller pot roasts in the same pot, instead of having to use two separate pots.

So here are the ingredients you need for your Asian pot roast!

Pork Pot Roast (picnic cut, butt, etc, whatever your preference is, you could even use beef if you want)
Wine (red or white works, just don't use a desert wine) if you don't have wine in the house or don't drink alcohol you can use more rice vinegar. The acid in wine and vinegar helps break down the meat some and makes it very tender.
Soy sauce
Worcester Sauce
Sesame Oil (toasted) honestly sesame oil makes anything taste Asian.
Tabasco Sauce
Rice Vinegar
Broth Cubes (I like the vegetarian ones from Knorr, because they mix well with everything) The picture doesn't show broth because you can use the cubes to make your own broth, but I use both.
Maggi Seasoning this is something that many of you won't have as it's a very Swiss ingredient, but that's totally ok, it isn't necessary.
Olive Oil

Seasoning Ingredients Are:
 Salt
Pepper
Cayenne
Paprika
Italian Seasoning Mix I use that with almost everything.

Last but not least:
 Ginger fresh is best, but if you don't have that you can use powdered ginger too.

So, those are technically the ingredients. However because I still had leftover weedwacker bacon  I used that as my fat base.
The easiest way to deal with that bacon is to cut it up with scissors.
So first off render the bacon in the pot.
Mmmmh, bacon!

Next season your roast with the paprika, cayenne, pepper, salt, and a dash of Italian seasoning.


Make sure your bacon has rendered, and the bacon is crispy. You won't actually be eating the bacon, it's just there for the additional flavoring of the roast. It should look somewhat like this:





Dump the roast or roasts seasoning side down into the pot. Have the temperature on high, since you want to sear the roast on both sides.




Now season the roast on the other side.




Make sure the roast is seared on both sides:



Now take the roasts out and place them on a plate.



Time to deglaze that pot with some wine. If you aren't using alcohol you can use broth instead. Dump that wine into the pot.
 

Cook it down to boil off some alcohol and concentrate the flavors. I also throw in a broth cube because I love the extra flavors.

Put the roasts back into your pot.








Add the ginger. I put some on top of the roast, and some in the broth part.




Now add your liquid seasonings, Worcester sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, tabasco sauce, and Maggi.





Just dump a bunch of seasonings on top of the roast.




Then fill up the pot with broth. Today I used chicken broth because I had it left over. It doesn't really matter which kind you use. You could also use the broth cubes to make your own. This brand is my favorite. I'm a sucker for organic and local.

Now fill up the pot with broth and add some wine if desired. I always add wine. If you aren't using wine, you may want to add some extra vinegar to help break down the meat and tenderize it.

Throw the lid on it, so it'll self baste.




Now throw it into the oven at 300 degrees. Calculate about 35 minutes for every pound of meat. In this case it's about 3 and a half hours.
Gosh, I've spent so many hours trying to deep clean that darn oven, but this is as clean as it'll get.


And here is the beautiful result:
I'm serving mine with rice. :)





I hope you all enjoy this!


Here is the condensed recipe:




Asian Pork Pot Roast

Tools:
Oven
Dutch oven, or any pot that can stay in the oven with a lid at 300 degrees.

Ingredients:
Pork Pot Roast
Wine
Soy sauce
Worcester Sauce
Sesame Oil
Tabasco Sauce
Rice Vinegar
Broth Cubes
Maggi Seasoning if available
Olive Oil or Bacon
Salt

Pepper
Cayenne
Paprika
Italian Seasoning Mix
Ginger
fresh is preferred, but powdered will do as well

Preheat the oven at 300 degrees.

Render the bacon in your pot, or use the olive oil.
Season the roast with your dry spices, cayenne, salt, pepper, paprika, Italian seasoning.
Sear the roast on both sides.
Remove roast.
Deglaze pot with wine or broth.
Add roast back into pot.
Add wet seasonings, soy sauce, Worcester sauce, Tabasco, vinegar, magi.
Add ginger.
Add some broth cubes.
Add extra wine.
Add broth until it covers the roast half way.
Put into preheated oven at 300 degrees. Cook circa 35 minutes for every pound of meat.


No comments:

Post a Comment