Sunday, October 12, 2014

Bacon Pinwheels

Yesterday I did all sorts of baking, so you get two recipes for the price of one. These bacon pinwheels are also super popular and crazy easy to make. We actually made and served these at our wedding last year.
Those are them in the very front. Not bad looking, eh.
What do you think? Want to make some? Sure, it's easy as pie. Just kidding, it's way easier than making pie.

Here's what you need:

Frozen puff pastry, cream cheese (I use the whipped kind because it's so much easier to spread), parmesan, and bacon. The bacon you see in the picture is what my friend Rachel calls weed whacker bacon, technically it's called bits and ends pieces. It works just great for these purposes. I buy it all the time and end up cutting the bacon up with some great kitchen scissors.

If you're taking the puff pastry straight from the freezer, you need to let it thaw enough so you don't crack the dough when you try to bend it. However if it gets too warm, it'll stick like crazy.

I like to prepare it on a cutting board for easy clean up, but what every you feel like doing will work just fine, I'm sure.
Spread out your puff pastry sheet like this:





Now spread cream cheese over it:




I then add a bunch of pepper.




Then comes the Italian herb mix.



Now add shredded parmesan generously.



I then sprinkle bacon pieces all over it.



Now roll it up like this:



Roll it all the way up so it forms a log.

Now you can start cutting slices off. I find a sharp serrated knife works best.





And here's what they look like all cut up.




I bake them on my trusty pizza stone. I pretty much bake everything on a pizza stone.




Then bake at 400 fahrenheit for around 23 minutes.

I also made a vegetarian version. At the wedding we made them with pesto instead of cream cheese, and sprinkled them with sundried tomatoes and mozarella. Since I had none of those ingredients on hand, I just added Monterrey jack cheese to the cream cheese and parmesan. So essentially I made pinwheel cheese sticks.




And after baking this is the result:





This was yesterday's baking extravaganza:






No comments:

Post a Comment